The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 76 lists carriers' quarters in Glasgow.
In the days before home deliveries were instituted, people had to collect their own mail. In Glasgow this could be done at the Post Office, which in 1783 was situated in Gibson's Wynd. Alternatively, letter carriers could be contacted at the addresses listed here, for incoming or outgoing mail.
In 1788, postmaster James Jackson caused a commotion by announcing a charge of 5 shillings (25p) a quarter to collect mail from the Post Office. Pressure by Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and numerous outraged individuals forced him to back down.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
directories, family history, genealogy, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, John Tait's Directory, letter carriers, mail, Post Office, postal services, postmasters