The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 75 lists postage charges for overseas mail, connections available from Carlisle and carriers' quarters in Glasgow.
In the days before postage stamps charges were normally paid by the recipient, although in 1784 Glasgow introduced a hand stamp with the message POST PAID where this was more convenient. Charges for overseas mail were not exceptionally high, with Russia appearing to offer good value for money, but delivery was not guaranteed.
The Glasgow-Carlisle stage coach allowed passengers to connect with services to a number of destinations in the north-west and midlands of England. Journeys further afield would require a further change.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
directories, family history, genealogy, John Tait's Directory, mail, Post Office, postage stamps, postal services, stage coaches