The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 66 includes surnames from Thomson to Town.
John and Robert Tennent established the firm of J & R Tennent in Drygate in 1777. The brothers brought the barley from their father's farm to their malt kiln and malted it themselves. The business prospered and in 1793 they acquired land nearby at Wellpark, where they expanded an existing brewery. The firm they founded is still a major employer in Glasgow.
The Town's Hospital or Poor House was founded in 1733. It was intended to provide food and shelter for the old, the infirm and other "deserving" destitute citizens. A small infirmary opened there in 1740 and was extended in 1766.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
beer, breweries, brewers, directories, family history, genealogy, hospitals, infirmaries, J & R Tennent, John Tait's Directory, maltmen, mentally ill persons, old persons, orphans, poor houses, sick persons, Town's Hospital, Town's Poor House