The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 65 includes surnames from Thomson to Thomson.
Todd, Shortridge & Co’s warehouse was in High Street although their printworks were at Levenbank, Dunbartonshire. The partners were David Todd and William Shortridge. Todd was also a partner in the cotton spinning firm of Todd & Stevenson with mills at Crosslee, in Renfrewshire, and Springfield, near Glasgow.
Peter Tait was the printer of John Tait's Directory as well as the Glasgow Journal. He set up his business in Saltmarket in 1770. In 1774 London publisher James Dodsley sued him for selling a pirated edition of Chesterfield’s Letters.
The Glasgow Journal, founded by Andrew Stalker in 1741, was Glasgow's second oldest newspaper. It appeared weekly, specialising in agricultural news, until it was absorbed by the Glasgow Chronicle in 1845.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
booksellers, calico printers, cotton merchants, directories, family history, genealogy, Glasgow Journal, John Tait's Directory, newspapers, printers, textile printers, Todd & Stevenson, Todd, Shortridge & Co