The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 59 includes surnames from Rankine to Scott.
James Robertson was cashier and partner in the Merchants' Bank and, with his brothers William and John Robertson, a partner in the Smithfield Iron Co (which was managed by William). The brothers also had extensive interests in the West Indies and John Robertson gave the name Planatation to land he acquired on the south bank of the Clyde, a name which survives today.
Robert Scott of Miller Street was later to become Robert Scott of Aikenhead, when in 1789 he purchased the estate from Robert Houston.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, directories, family history, genealogy, ironmasters, John Tait's Directory, Merchants' Bank, Smithfield Iron Co, West Indies merchants