The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 54 includes surnames from Napier to Oughterton.
John Orr of Barrowfield was Town Clerk of Glasgow from 1781 until 1803 and, for several years, Captain-Commandant of the Light Horse Troop of Volunteers. He owned estates in the East End of Glasgow and formed a company to exploit coal resources there. His business was unsuccessful, however, and failed in 1791.
The brothers George, James and Alexander Oswald were merchants with interests in the tobacco trade. They were also partners in the South Sugar House, prominent wine importers and, like most of Glasgow’s Tobacco Lords, they exported goods from Scotland to America and Europe.
George and Alexander had substantial estates in the Glasgow area. The Oswalds also had estates in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coalmasters, directories, family history, genealogy, George Oswald & Co, John Tait's Directory, Light Horse Troop of Volunteers, South Sugar House, sugar merchants, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, town clerks, wine merchants, wine trade