The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 47 includes surnames from Monteath to McAdam.
James Monteath or Monteith was a yarn merchant and textile manufacturer. As a young man, he opened a weaving mill in Anderston and expanded it over the years, taking advantage of new machinery such as the spinning jenny. Much of his yarn was imported from France and in 1767 he brought forty-six French women to Anderston to teach local women the art of spinning fine yarn. In 1801 Monteith built a new mill equipped with 200 looms. He was also involved in church affairs, and founded the Anderston Relief Church. After his death, the business was carried on successfully by his sons, most notably Henry Monteith who owned a large cotton mill at Blantyre and purchased the estate of Carstairs.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Anderston Relief Church, Blantyre Mill, churches, cotton merchants, directories, family history, genealogy, John Tait's Directory, linen manufacturers, looms, mills, spinning jenny, textile manufacturers, weavers, yarn and worsted merchants