The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 23 includes surnames from Crawford to Clawson.
Timber merchant William Craig's house in Clyde Street stood beside a ford in the River Clyde in 1783. There was an island in the middle of the river, where he stored his timber. Craig was a partner in the Ship Bank, a magistrate and President of the Chamber of Commerce, 1803-1804. For twenty-two years he held the office of Preceptor of the Town's Hospital in Clyde Street.
William Cuninghame of Lainshaw was one of Glasgow's most successful tobacco merchants. He is best remembered for his Queen Street mansion, which cost a reputed £10,000 to build, a huge sum in his day. Through various conversions, it has served as the Royal Exchange, Stirling's Library and the Gallery of Modern Art.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, directories, family history, fords, Gallery of Modern Art, genealogy, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, GOMA, John Tait's Directory, mansions, presidents, River Clyde, Royal Exchange, Ship Bank, Stirling's Library, timber merchants, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, Town's Hospital