The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 16 includes surnames from Bell to Buchanan.
John Bowman (1701-1797) was a leading Glasgow merchant. His house in Virginia Street was one of the grandest in the city, with a large impressive garden looking towards Candleriggs, on the site of what is now Wilson Street. Bowman was a partner in the Glasgow Arms Bank and in Bell's Tannery, which at one point employed 300 shoemakers. He was Lord Provost in 1764-65 and 1765-66. In later life his fortunes were adversely affected by the failure of the Glasgow Arms Bank in 1793.
Andrew Buchanan (1745-1835), later to become Andrew Buchanan of Ardconnal, was a merchant whose main business interests were in the West Indies. He was a partner in the firm of Dennistoun, Buchanan & Co.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
banks, Bell's Tannery, boot and shoe makers, Dennistoun, Buchanan & Co, directories, family history, genealogy, Glasgow Arms Bank, John Tait's Directory, lord provosts, merchants, tanneries, Tobacco Lords