The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester.
Page 15 includes surnames from Alexander to Allan. Note the address of the architect and mason John Adam in Adam's Court - he is almost certainly the contractor (1721-1792) responsible for the building of Broomielaw Bridge in 1768-1772. Mrs Aitken the soapmaker is one of the few women shopkeepers listed in the directory. A teacher of dancing, a barber and a comb maker are among the other occupations listed.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
barbers, comb makers, dancing, directories, family history, genealogy, John Tait's Directory, soapmakers, women