The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester.
The first page following the title page is one of dedications. Tait clearly realised that it was in his interest to pay fulsome tribute to town councillors, especially Lord Provost Patrick Colquhoun and other leading lights.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
councillors, directories, family history, genealogy, John Tait's Directory