At the Empire Exhibition of 1938 a lake was created between Colonial Avenue and Dominions Avenue. It contained two flare fountains and eighteen subsidiary fountains. In the background in this view are the Palace of Industries West, left, and the pavilions of South Africa, New Zealand and Canada, right.
Water features were a major attraction at the Exhibition. The fountains periodically fired jets of water high into the air and were lit up at night in various colours.
The Canadian Pavilion was built mainly with Canadian materials. Natural light was excluded, so that the displays inside would be better highlighted. Canadian economic progress, products and natural history were illustrated using dioramas, photographs and models. Thirty Canadian firms displayed their wares, and several government departments had stands.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Canadian Pavilion, Empire Exhibition, exhibitions, fountains, lakes, New Zealand Pavilion, Palace of Industries West, pavilions, South African Pavilion