The New Zealand Pavilion on Dominions Avenue at the 1938 Empire Exhibition. The coat of arms above the entrance shows a white settler and a native Maori given equal prominence and the black pillars on the facade were decorated with Maori art. Native plants such as the tree-fern can be seen on the approaches to the building.
The Pavilion gave particular prominence to the dairy and meat industries, as befitted the world's largest exporter of dairy produce, mutton and lamb, and the third largest exporter of wool. To emphasise the point, the Official Guide observed that "rather more than half the butter entering the port of Glasgow, and very much more than three-quarter of the cheese, comes from New Zealand". Timber products, canned foods and animal pelts were also displayed.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
butter, cheese, coats of arms, Empire Exhibition, exhibitions, Maori art, Maoris, New Zealand Pavilion, pavilions, pillars, plants, tree-ferns