The Model House of a Laird was located in the Scottish Pavilion South. While the North Pavilion was devoted to modern Scotland the Southern building contained the Hall of History tracing the nation's heritage from prehistoric times through to the beginning of the 19th century. However, it also included the Halls of Voluntary Services and Youth.
Scottish heraldry can be seen above the fireplace in this view of the Model House of a Laird and mottos are printed on the ceiling beams. Although the room is furnished in a very simple fashion it is far more substantial than the highland dwellings in the “Clachan”, another popular attraction at the Exhibition.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Clachan, coats of arms, Empire Exhibition, exhibitions, fireplaces, Hall of History, Hall of Voluntary Services, Hall of Youth, heraldry, Model House of a Laird, Scottish Pavilion South