A statue of the young Saint Andrew, situated in the entrance hall of the historical Scottish Pavilion South at the Empire Exhibition of 1938. The sculptor was Archibald Dawson, the Head of Sculpture at the Glasgow School of Art, who died suddenly before the exhibition opened.
The 25 feet high sculpture symbolised the power and unity of Scotland. Immediately behind it was a more traditional representation of Scotland's patron saint, sandblasted onto glass and back lit to reveal the Saltire Cross on which he was crucified.
A major theme of the 1938 Exhibition was the celebration of the arts, and the Palace of Art was the only permanent building erected on the Bellahouston site.Reference
: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Empire Exhibition, exhibitions, Glasgow School of Art, Palace of Art, saints, Saltires, Scottish Pavilion South, sculpture