The Paisley Road West entrance to the 1938 Empire Exhibition led onto the Scottish Avenue, pictured here. As the host nation Scotland had two adjacent pavilions either side of the avenue. The North Pavilion can be seen to the left of this photograph with its distinctive replica of the Empire Tower, the original of which stood on top of Bellahouston Hill. This pavilion consisted of an Entrance Hall, a Hall of Health and Planning and a Hall of Education. It was dedicated to the Planned Services available to modern Scottish communities.
The Palace of Art was built at the eastern end of the avenue, next to the Press Club in the background of this view. In the foreground is one of the fifty small Lister autotrucks which toured the 10 miles of roads around the site. Used by visitors for short journeys or sightseeing tours from each entrance, they ran on five routes indicated by the colours red, blue, brown, green and yellow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bellahouston Hill, Empire Exhibition, Empire Tower, exhibitions, Hall of Education, Hall of Health and Planning, Lister autotrucks, Palace of Art, Planned Services, sightseeing