This colour photograph shows a view of the Empire Exhibition from the south, looking up the hill over the South Cascade to the Garden Club and the Tower of Empire. It was a condition of the lease of Bellahouston Park from Glasgow Corporation that the trees on the hill should be undisturbed.
Designed by Thomas P Marwick, the Garden Club occupied a prominent position overlooking the site. The restaurant was enclosed by glass windows, and a glass cocktail bar was nearby. There was a tea garden on the roof. Membership was open to all, but the subscription of five guineas proved a deterrent to many.
The Tower of Empire, popularly known as Tait's Tower, came to symbolise the Empire Exhibition. It was built of Scottish steel, set in a concrete base. 300 feet high and sited on a hill, it dominated its surroundings, particularly when lit up at night. An electric lift carried visitors up to the three balconies which served as viewing platforms.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bars, Bellahouston Park, Empire Exhibition, Empire Tower, exhibitions, Garden Club, Glasgow Corporation, North Cascade, restaurants, Tait's Tower, tea gardens, trees