One of many attractions at the Scottish Exhibition of 1911 was the electric powered aerial railway, invented by W L Hamilton. This engraving shows visitors crossing the valley of the River Kelvin at a height of 130 feet in a car suspended from overhead cables. The Carlton restaurant and the Highland Village lie below.
Organisers of the Exhibition were fully aware of the importance of such attractions in boosting visitor numbers. Other amusements provided included a camera obscura, Joy Wheel, Hall of Illusions, shooting galleries, water sports, Tanagre Theatre, a mountain slide and a scenic railway, a development of the popular switchback railway.
Reference: Mitchell Library, BX 217
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
aerial railways, cable cars, camera obscura, Carlton Restaurant, Clachan, exhibitions, Hall of Illusions, Highland Village, River Kelvin, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, spires, University of Glasgow