The Stewart Memorial Fountain (centre) was a favourite meeting point for visitors to the Scottish Exhibition in 1911. The Lady of the Lake on top of the fountain is facing a three-storey licensed restaurant run by McKillop & Sons. Kiosks and the Exhibition's electricity transformer house are the other buildings in the background.
The architect of the Stewart Memorial Fountain was James Sellars, and the sculptor John Mossman. Erected in 1872, it commemorates the contribution of Lord Provost Robert Stewart of Murdostoun to the provision of the city’s water supply from Loch Katrine.
Another attraction at the Exhibition was the temporary illuminated fountain in the square in front of the Concert Hall, which lit up the area each evening with a spectacular display of changing colours.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
electricity, exhibitions, fountains, kiosks, Lady of the Lake, Loch Katrine, lord provosts, McKillop & Sons, restaurants, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, Stewart Memorial Fountain, water supply