This photograph, taken from the roof of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, shows a panorama of the Scottish Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park in 1911.
The Bishop’s Castle keep and the Auld Toon are in the foreground left, in front of the River Kelvin. On the other side of the river, left, the Garden Club (flanked by the Grosvenor Restaurant and the White Cockade tea room) overlooks the Grand Amphitheatre and bandstand. To the right, the Palace of History is in the foreground, with the Palace of Art and Concert Hall beyond it. Despite their solid appearance, all the buildings were temporary .
By the time the Exhibition closed on 4 November, the number of recorded visits had reached 9,369,375. Further evidence of the success of the Exhibition was provided by the profits realised, £15,000 of which went to endow the chair of Scottish Literature and History at the University of Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1911)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
amphitheatres, Auld Toon, bandstands, Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, castle keeps, Concert Hall, concert halls, exhibitions, Garden Club, Grand Amphitheatre, Grosvenor Restaurant, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Palace of Art, Palace of History, panoramas, River Kelvin, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, Scottish history, Scottish literature, University of Glasgow, White Cockade