A colour postcard of An Clachan, the Highland Village, at the Scottish Exhibition in 1911. The original black and white photograph showed Glasgow buildings in the background, but they were removed for the postcard.
Occupying a three acre site on the left bank of the Caol Abhain (River Kelvin), the Clachan was a commercial undertaking. There was a separate admission fee but that did not prevent it being one of the most popular attractions at the Exhibition. It had its own opening ceremony, on 20 May, with the Earl and Countess of Cassillis doing the honours.
The intention behind An Clachan was to raise awareness of a way of life in an area of Scotland which was completely alien to many Glaswegians. All the staff were native Gaelic speakers and profits went to the Co-operative Council of Highland Home Industries.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Caol Abhain, Clachan, Co-operative Council of Highland Home Industries, cottages, exhibitions, Gaelic language, Highland Village, opening ceremonies, River Kelvin, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Highlanders