The balcony of Miss Cranston's White Cockade tea room at the Scottish Exhibition in 1911. The tea room overlooked the Grand Amphitheatre, seen on the extreme left.
As well as being the owner of successful tea rooms, Catherine Cranston was known as a patron of artists of the Glasgow School. The interior of the White Cockade was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, while his wife, Margaret McDonald, designed the menu cards.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1911)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
amphitheatres, artists, exhibitions, Glasgow School, Grand Amphitheatre, menu cards, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, tea rooms, waitresses, White Cockade