The Concert Hall or Palace of Music at the Scottish Exhibition in 1911, with the front of the Palace of Art on the left. The two buildings overlooked an enclosed square which could accommodate 13,000 people, with an illuminated fountain in the middle.
The Concert Hall was rectangular in shape, with a white and gold décor and widely praised acoustics. It was used for pageants, receptions and other events as well as concerts, the first of which was given by Sir Henry Wood and his Queen's Hall Orchestra. Another leading performer to appear at the Concert Hall was the famous Austrian violinist Fritz Kreisler.
A daily programme informed visitors of the musical events taking place at the Concert Hall and elsewhere. As ever, brass bands were particularly popular.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1911)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
brass bands, Concert Hall, concert halls, exhibitions, fountains, music, musicians, orchestras, pageants, Palace of Art, Palace of Music, Queen's Hall Orchestra, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, squares, towers, violinists