The Palace of History at the Scottish Exhibition of 1911 is on the left of this photograph. A kiosk run by Malcolm Campbell Ltd is on the right, while the Garden Club is in the background, overlooking the amphitheatre.
Architect R J Walker modelled the Palace of History on Falkland Palace, a royal palace in Fife. It was built around the remains of Kelvingrove Mansion, using asbestos and plaster on a steel frame. A cement finish and slate roof gave it an authentic appearance.
Inside the Palace of History were six galleries accommodating a vast collection of Scottish historical relics and artefacts, contributed by some 1,400 owners. Weapons, clothing, documents and models were among the items on display in an attempt to stir the imagination of visitors. Scotland's historical links with various European countries were emphasised.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1911)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
amphitheatres, artefacts, exhibitions, Falkland Palace, Garden Club, Kelvingrove Mansion, kiosks, Malcolm Campbell Ltd, models, Palace of History, palaces, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, towers