Indian jugglers outside the Indian Theatre at the International Exhibition of 1901. The jugglers were a source of great fascination for the citizens of Glasgow. Described in the official guide as "the best ... that could be induced to come to the Glasgow Exhibition", they provided exotic entertainment.
Situated in the East Gardens, the Indian Theatre was a brightly coloured building complete with minarets and domed tops. Also known as “The Monkey House”, the theatre staged afternoon and evening performances by Indian performers, including the popular snake charmers.
After the Exhibition was over the building was re-erected at Belvidere Hospital, in recognition of the heroic efforts of the staff to treat and nurse the victims of an outbreak of bubonic plague in 1900.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 606.4 (1901)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Asians, Belvidere Hospital, bubonic plague, domes, exhibitions, hospitals, Indian Theatre, Indians, International Exhibition, 1901, jugglers, juggling, minarets, Monkey House, monkeys, Sikhs, snake charmers, theatres