The Grand Concert Hall was one of the most impressive buildings at the International Exhibition of 1901. The Venetian-style building's saucer dome was prominent in its central situation. The photograph shows the interior, built on a double circle of columns, with a gallery between them. Although there were some criticisms of the acoustics it was generally agreed that the purpose-built Concert Hall provided an excellent venue.
Season ticket sales for the Exhibition were boosted by the announcement that holders would be allowed free access to the Concert Hall. Demand was underestimated and when the crowds became unmanageable extra charges for some concerts were introduced. The highlight for concert goers was the visit of Dame Nellie Melba in September.
Band music was a popular attraction at the Exhibition. Guest bands from overseas appeared frequently, including the John Philip Sousa Band from the USA.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 606.4 (1901)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
bands, concert halls, concerts, domes, exhibitions, Grand Concert Hall, halls, International Exhibition, 1901, John Philip Sousa Band, music, Venetian