Most of the buildings at the International Exhibition of 1901 were lit up at night by electric lighting, adding to the site's attractiveness. The building in this picture is the Royal Bungalow restaurant.
As in 1888, George Mackenzie secured the contract for the upmarket and expensive Royal Bungalow restaurant, this time in partnership with J & W McKillop. They also ran the Grosvenor Restaurant, and the Grand Avenue Buffet and had the monopoly for sales of alcohol.
Other refreshments facilities included Prince's Restaurant, Flint's Tearoom and the Palace Restaurant. The catering facilities were often placed under heavy strain by the large numbers of visitors attending the Exhibition.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1901)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
electric lighting, exhibitions, Flint's Tearoom, Grand Avenue Buffet, Grosvenor Restaurant, International Exhibition, 1901, J & W McKillop, nightscenes, Palace Restaurant, Prince's Restaurant, restaurants, Royal Bungalow, tea rooms