The Machinery Section at the International Exhibition of 1901 was located in a large hall built on the site of what was to become the Kelvin Hall. The section celebrated Glasgow’s reputation as the “Workshop of the World” with exhibits mounted by firms involved in shipbuilding, steel making and other manufacturing industries, although firms from England and the USA were also represented. The building was linked to the rest of the Exhibition by the Grand Avenue, a wide covered walkway which was itself wide enough to accommodate exhibits.
A large display area in the Machinery Hall was taken up by locomotives, as shown in this photograph. Locomotive building was a major industry in Glasgow and three of the firms displaying their products at the Exhibition were to amalgamate in 1903 to form the North British Locomotive Co, operating the largest locomotive works outside America. In the centre of this view is an ornate ornamental ironwork conservatory built by the Glasgow firm Walter Macfarlane & Co.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1901)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
conservatories, exhibitions, Grand Avenue, International Exhibition, 1901, ironwork, Kelvin Hall, locomotives, Machinery Hall, manufacturing, North British Locomotive Co, walkways, Walter Macfarlane & Co.