This view at the International Exhibition of 1888, looking west from the Dome down the Main Avenue, gives a sense of the scale of the Main Building.
The stands in the foreground, in the centre of the Main Avenue, are those of Doulton & Co, a major exhibitor at the Exhibition. Art wares in bronze, ceramics and glass are on display. Doulton's other contributions were the Indian Pavilion, at the western end of the Main Avenue, and the Doulton Fountain, in the grounds outside the Main Building.
On the left can be seen the foreign exhibitors' section, with a disappointing seventy miscellaneous exhibitors, mainly from France, Germany, Italy and the USA. The French Court is the most prominent, the highlight being the Paris Salon which contained a fine display of Limoges pottery and porcelain.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1888)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
domes, Doulton & Co, Doulton Fountain, exhibitions, exhibitors, French Court, Indian Pavilion, International Exhibition, 1888, Limoges, Main Avenue, Paris Salon, porcelain, pottery