The Main Avenue, over a quarter of a mile in length, stretched for the full length of the Main Building at the International Exhibition of 1888. Exhibitors displayed their wares in various courts all along the avenue on both sides, and in the middle.
This view from the west features the Indian Pavilion erected by Doulton & Co. Made of terracotta, it was home to a number of potters, whose products were sold to visitors.
India and Canada were the chief suppliers of products which served to justify the "International" claim in the Exhibition's title, but British products predominated.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1888)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Doulton & Co, exhibitions, India, Indian Pavilion, International Exhibition, 1888, Main Avenue, potters, pottery, terracotta