The Royal Bungalow restaurant and dining rooms at the International Exhibition of 1888.
Owned by George Mackenzie, the Royal Bungalow was regarded as having the best and most expensive dining facilities at the Exhibition. The Lucknow and Delhi rooms had Indian chefs and waiters producing curries to suit the Glasgow palate, a century before Indian cuisine became the most popular in the city. By contrast, the Clan Dining Rooms, with tartan decor, served more traditional British fare.
Other sites at the Exhibition providing food and refreshment included the Bishop's Palace Temperance Café, where the staff wore medieval costumes, and the Ceylon Tea House, the Indian Tea Rooms and the Bachelor's Cafe.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bachelor's Cafe, Bishop's Palace Temperance Cafe, Ceylon Tea House, Clan Dining Rooms, curries, curry, Delhi, dining rooms, exhibitions, Indian cuisine, Indian restaurants, Indian Tea Rooms, Indians, International Exhibition, 1888, Lucknow, restaurants, Royal Bungalow