The Grand Entrance to the Main Building at the International Exhibition of 1888.
The entrance was immediately south of the twin bridges across the River Kelvin, in a semicircular recess. The 170 feet high Dome was erected on an iron framework covered in galvanised sheet iron. The four octagonal supporting towers around the Dome were made of brick, with minarets on top. Painted wood was used extensively in the construction of the building, and the red and cream striped facade made a lasting impression on visitors.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1888)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridges, domes, entrances, exhibitions, Grand Entrance, International Exhibition, 1888, Main Building, minarets