The grounds of the International Exhibition of 1888 as seen looking north from the Main Building. In the foreground are the twin bridges across the River Kelvin. The one on the left is a temporary structure, built specially for the Exhibition. The permanent one on the right is the Prince of Wales Bridge which had been built in 1868 when the Prince of Wales visited Glasgow to lay the foundation stone for the University main building, shown in the background.
Two other prominent buildings at the north end of the bridges are the twin kiosks. The one on the left is the Tobacco Kiosk, where tobacconist Alfred Howell provided an oriental style smoking lounge with divans. The kiosk on the right was labelled the Flower Kiosk on the official plan, but in reality it was a confectionery stall where A T Assafray catered for the famous Scottish sweet tooth.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1888)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridges, confectionery, divans, exhibitions, Flower Kiosk, International Exhibition, 1888, Kelvingrove Park, kiosks, parks, Prince of Wales Bridge, River Kelvin, smoking lounges, spires, sweets, Tobacco Kiosk, towers, University of Glasgow