Fine weather blessed the opening of the International Exhibition on 8 May 1888. Large crowds turned out to greet the Prince of Wales, honorary president of the exhibition, as he was driven to the site to perform the opening ceremony. An elaborate golden key, designed by John Chubb and incorporating the city's coat of arms, was used to unlock the door of the Main Building.
Three thousand guests crammed into the Grand Hall for the proceedings, during which the Prince of Wales paid tribute to Glasgow's achievements in arts, manufactures and applied sciences, with a special mention for the University of Glasgow as a renowned seat of learning.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1888)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
exhibitions, Grand Hall, International Exhibition, 1888, opening ceremonies, University of Glasgow