The entrance to the Standard Picture House which opened on on Dumbarton Road in Anderston in 1909. In reality this was only the entrance to a passageway leading to a converted hall in a back court.
Despite its local nickname of the "Palais de Scratch", the Standard attracted large audiences for its 1,153 seats, many of them on wooden benches. The cinema was sold by owner James Graham to Glasgow and West of Scotland Cinemas in 1945. It closed in 1957.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/3559
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
, cinemas, Glasgow and West of Scotland Cinemas, Palais de Scratch, Standard Cinema