The New Parade Cinema in Meadowpark Street, Dennistoun, was opened in 1921 by George Smith and James Welsh. It had a capacity of over 1,400 and was popular with local audiences who appreciated the double features and short films contained in each programme.
In 1928 the New Parade was sold to Gaumont, who continued to run it as a cinema until 1961 when it followed the contemporary trend and became a bingo club. Unusually it was revived as a cinema when bought by Jack Brown, a dance hall owner, in 1969. Family films and low admission prices kept it going until Brown's retirement when it closed in 1986.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
bingo, cinemas, films, Gaumont, New Parade