Entertainment entrepreneur A E Pickard opened the Casino Cinema in Townhead in 1911. Designed by George Boswell, the 987 seat cinema was well publicised at its opening and proved popular with local audiences.
The cinema was sold to Glasgow Casino Ltd in 1924 and continued until redevelopment of the Townhead area in the 1960s resulted in a drastic fall in the local population. A brief spell as a bingo club preceded the Casino's closure in 1968.
Reference: D-PL 2/1/416
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
bingo, Casino Cinema, cinemas, films, Glasgow Casino Ltd, redevelopment