The Regent Cinema in Renfield Street began life as the Cinema Picture House, opening in 1911. A major redevelopment in 1920 by original architect Neil Duff doubled the capacity to 1,314. A futher refurbishment took place in 1937 when this photograph was taken.
Despite having to face the problems of an independent cinema in acquiring first run films, the Regent retained a loyal following. Patrons appreciated events such as a personal appearance by Danny Kaye. The Regent survived a fire in 1971 but eventually closed in 1982. It was replaced by an office block appropriately named Regent House.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/2603
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Cinema Picture House, cinemas, films, fires, Regent, Regent House