As is obvious from the photograph, the Paragon in Gorbals was converted from a church building. Only a few cosmetic changes and the addition of a projection room distinguished the cinema from the church, with the original pews being retained inside.
Soon after its opening in 1912, the Paragon was bought by Richard Singleton who sold it to the Odeon chain in 1936. Always regarded as a downmarket cinema, the Paragon was closed in 1958, and demolished soon afterwards.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-AP9/7/22/92
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
churches, cinemas, films, Odeon, Paragon