Like its namesake in King's Park, the State in Shettleston was owned by George Urie Scott and designed by Charles McNair. Built to a high standard of comfort and with a capacity of 2,000, the State attracted large audiences from its opening in 1937. It was regarded as the East End's premier cinema for most of its life.
Declining levels of business led to the State's closure in 1973. It lay derelict for many years before it was finally demolished in 1986.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/3039
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, films, State