Named after Roxy in New York, the largest cinema in the world, the Roxy in Maryhill could seat over 2,000 patrons. Although the cinema (designed by Lennox & McMath) lacked some of the splendour of other suburban cinemas it proved popular with local audiences from its opening in 1935.
The nearby Maryhill Barracks provided a ready source of custom and talent contests enlivened the proceedings on Thursdays. The Roxy closed and was demolished in 1962.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/1995
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, films, Lennox & McMath, Maryhill Barracks, Roxy