Architect James McKissack was responsible for the impressive Embassy in Shawlands, one of a number of cinemas owned by Harry Winocour. With a capacity of 1,638 comfortable seats, and a stage and dressing-rooms included, it may have been intended for additional use as a music hall. This impression is reinforced by the engagement of Harry Lauder to perform the opening ceremony in 1936.
The Embassy was sold to Glasgow Photo Playhouse in 1938 and demolished in 1965.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/1662
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, Embassy, films, Glasgow Photo Playhouse, music halls