The Ascot at Anniesland was the last big suburban cinema to be built in Glasgow. Designed by Charles McNair, it was still under construction when the Second World War broke out in September 1939. Extra safety features had to be added before it could open in December of that year.
Like all Glasgow cinemas, the Ascot came through the war unscathed and its popularity continued undiminished. The name changed to Gaumont and then Odeon before bingo took over in 1975. It closed at the end of the century and the facade has been retained in a new housing development.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Photographs Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Ascot, bingo, cinemas, films, Gaumont, Odeon, safety, Second World War