George Urie Scott opened the Palaceum in Shettleston in 1913. A relatively small cinema, it was comfortable and popular with local audiences who appreciated admission charges that were substantially lower than those of the city centre cinemas. Variety acts were an added attraction.
In 1936 the Palaceum was redesigned by Charles J McNair, the original architect, and rebuilt as illustrated here. The building was damaged by fire in 1954 and subsequently demolished.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/1089
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, films, fires, Palaceum Cinema, variety