Designed by James McKissack for George Singleton, the Vogue Cinema opened on the corner of Langlands and Crossloan Roads in Govan in 1938, with a capacity of 2,500. The tiled exterior and neon lighting made it a local landmark.
Despite its popularity as a cinema the Vogue was one of the earliest conversions to a bingo hall. In 1961 the last picture show was a double bill of Robin Hood and Treasure Island. In 1985 the building was sold to a property developer and demolished.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/832
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
bingo, cinemas, films, neon, tiles, Vogue Cinema