The State Cinema in Castlemilk Road in King's Park was designed by Charles J McNair & Elder for Cathcart Picture Playhouse Ltd. At its opening in 1937 it was regarded as state of the art in cinema design, its streamlined facade outlined by red and blue neon strips at night.
The State was renamed the County in 1971 and became a bingo hall in the following year.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/569
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
bingo, Cathcart Picture Playhouse Ltd, cinemas, County, films, McNair & Elder, neon strips, State Cinema