The Astoria Cinema, with a capacity of 3,000, was described as "the largest working class sound cinema in Scotland" at its opening in 1931. Designed by A V Gardner, it was built on a filled-in quarry on Possil Road.
The Astoria attracted large audiences for both films and variety performances, the latter being discontinued in 1938. It became one of the first Glasgow cinemas to be converted to a bingo hall in 1962 and was finally demolished in 1995.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/245
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Astoria, bingo, cinemas, films, music halls, variety