The opening of La Scala cinema in Sauchiehall Street by the Glasgow Photo Playhouse in 1912 was a sign that film entertainment had become well established in Glasgow. Converted from a warehouse by architects Neil Duff and James McKissack it was one of the largest cinemas of its day. The inclusion of a tea room was a popular innovation and the installation of a Christie Unit organ in 1928 added to La Scala's reputation.
The cinema's interior was modernised in 1936 and again in 1976, with a conversion to three screens. When La Scala eventually closed in 1984 it was the oldest surviving cinema in Glasgow. The premises were subsequently converted to serve as a book shop.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-AP9/7/17/96
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
book shops, Christie's Unit organ, cinemas, Glasgow Photo Playhouse, La Scala, organs, tea rooms