In 1915 the management of the Grand Theatre decided to move with the times and convert the theatre to a cine-variety theatre, serving as both theatre and cinema. The cover of this 1916 programme shows the type of imagery which caught the public's imagination at the time.
In the midst of the First World War, the management was at pains to point out that no male member of staff had been employed unless he was able to give a satisfactory reason for not volunteering for military service.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, films, First World War, Grand Theatre Picture Playhouse, military service, theatres