The Royal Olympic Theatre was opened in Argyle Street in 1855 by actor-manager Richard Cockrill. It staged performances of drama, comedies and opera for just two years until it was acquired by David Brown, a singer and wine and spirit dealer who was nicknamed “The Shah of the Scottish Music Halls.”
The theatre was renamed David Brown's Philharmonic Hall but closed in 1864. Brown moved on to manage the Royal Music Hall in Dunlop Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
actor-managers, David Brown's Philharmonic Hall, drama, music halls, musical comedies, opera, Royal Olympic Theatre, theatre managers, theatres